Books By The Bushel, LLC. (BBTB) is a woman-owned children’s book company located in Versailles, OH. We sell exclusively to non-profit, early education programs, and Department of Education grants. Our founder, Paula Darnell, began her career in early childhood literacy with a division of Readers Digest (RDA) as their National Sales Manager for the Early Childhood Division. During her ten years at RDA, she created and implemented the partnership with RDA and Reading Is Fundamental (RIF) and pioneered a division that worked with Department of Education grant programs. When, in 2008, RDA closed 3 of its divisions, and Paula lost her job, she decided to take her passion and love of the early literacy field and start her own company. (You can view Paula's resume here.)
Founded in 2009, Books By The Bushel, LLC’s mission is to “Promote Literacy Across America” by offering high-quality, low-cost children’s books to non-profit organizations while continuing the grant work Paula started with RDA. Utilizing the publishing contacts made during her time with RDA, Paula and her team have built partnerships with all the leading publishers in the children’s book industry. Her knowledge of the publishing trade makes Books By The Bushel one of the industry leaders in book sourcing of hard-to-find and out-of-print books.
Today, Books By The Bushel, LLC is proud to partner with some of the most extensive literacy programs in the country!
These organizations include:
• Parents As Teachers National and Regional
• Parents As Teachers National Center IAL grant
• Reading Is Fundamental (rif.org) as one of only six
approved book suppliers to this national program
• Reach Out and Read Programs across all 50 states (reachoutandread.org)
• United Way Success By Six Programs across all 50 states (unitedforimpact.org)
• Head Start Grantees/Programs across all 50 states (nhsa.org)
• Kindercare Child Care Centers
• Nationwide Children's Hospital
• Akron Children's Hospital
• Ampact/AmeriCorps-Reading Corps Program
• Three Rivers Foundation IAL Grant 2016 and ongoing book projects (threeriverseducationfoundation.org)
• Schools and Libraries
Our Director of Operations, Mike Darnell, is a U.S. Army Veteran who spent 17 years with Dow Chemical as an Operations and Logistics Manager. He loved his career and planned to retire “someday.” Then in 2009, Mike was involved in a severe motorcycle accident requiring six months to learn how to walk again. Mike could return to work, but the company had sold, and he was ready to spend more time with family and friends. It was time to move back to Ohio and be closer to his kids and grandkids. With Paula’s urging, he came to work with her and has been an integral part of Books By The Bushel since 2011. His extensive experience with logistics management and rate negotiation allows us to keep our costs down and pass the savings on to our customers. (You can view Mike’s resume here.)
Paula & Mike have built a strong team of dedicated professionals who work closely with literacy programs and grant recipients across the country.
Our staff credentials include:
• Vast knowledge of the children’s book industry
• Logistics management and operations
• Customer service management
We specialize in meeting the unique requirements of each program and look forward to working with you!